Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Midnight & Kahlua

its actually not what you think. no, really. it's 1:26 am and it's Kahlua flavored coffee. alcohol will hinder my ability to wake up on time to prep for  the day.


As i sit here sipping away on my enthusiastic insomnia, I can't help but yearn for the affection of a humid breeze."Me" time is something that I do NOT take lightly, and even if the only way I'll get to that warm shore is in a daydream, at least I'll have a short term memory until I have to review a stack of invoices 6 hours later.

In fact, my personal time has actually led me to some pretty interesting discoveries. Like the fact that I like to cook. Who knew? Truthfully, I enjoy it even more while my Nena is sitting attentively in the kitchen as I explain the recipes and measurements to her (even if she is completely oblivious to everything except for the fact that i'm holding a wooden spoon smothered in chocolate cake batter : ) My latest cooking epiphany? Well, it's actually not an epiphany if not more like a memory. I'd say somewhere around 5 years ago my oldest brother took me out to hard days work to teach me the importance of an education vs the labor of construction work. He brought me along to help his buddy build a 6 ft gate around his home in the beautiful Santa Cruz Mountains. The owner of the house knew I was too young to know or care about how to dig a stake 4 ft into dry soil so instead he and his wife entertained me with pumpkin brownies (finally i got to the point right?! you'll notice that i have a horrible habit of rambling). Any who, it wasn't till just recently with the pumpkin sales and daily reviews of Autumn D.I.Y. centerpieces, that i remembered these delightful morsels of fudge-y goodness. It's actually a weight watchers recipe b/c they're low-cal so you don't have to feel guilty{unless you eat the entire batch}. By the way, once you've read the recipe, you'll think i really did use Kahlua in my coffee. But I promise, you will not be disappointed-unless you hate chocolate-which makes you a rare species. All you need is:

1 15 oz. can of pumpkin (actual pumpkin not the filling)
muffin tray (this recipe usually makes 12 good sized cupcakes)
1 box of your favorite brand's devil food cake mix

...
Combine cake mix & pumpkin. Follow the directions on the back of the box for baking temperature & time.
 
And that's it! really! Trust me I wanted to dump at least some agave nectar in the mix, but it truly doesn't need any sweetener.

If you want to be a little more decadent, try it with homemade whipping cream

heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar (granulated/powder) I prefer granulated, just my preference

 ..whip away to fluffy bliss. to increase or lessen sweetness, adjust amount of sugar accordingly.


Serve on a pretty plate with a tall glass of milk. Grab a blanket, your favorite DVD and you've got yourself a cozy evening. yummy : ).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...