Friday, November 5, 2010

Cumbia de los muertos



I could not forgive myself if I let another day go by with out posting something about my beloved Day of the Dead. Some may think of sadness and the agony one must endure to let their loved ones pass on. But for those of us who celebrate Dia de los Muertos, it's a day of celebration. Folklore tells us a story of those same loved ones returning from the beyond to enjoy a cumbia, their favorite meal, or maybe even a glass of their favorite Tequila ( just because they've past doesn't mean their preferences have changed) with their family and friends. On this day, many gather at the cemetery to laugh and rejoice in the memories they created with the departed, enjoying themselves so much so, as if they were truly in that person's presence.


Dia de los Muertos Alter in Alameda, CA


btw...




this is by far one of my favorite songs...  Cumbia de los Muertos by Ozomatli.


Sierta gente solo puede ver
Espiritus bailando entre la gente
Si pueden verlos bailando mis hermanos
Seran bendicidos entre los cielos
Mira como baila mi mama
Bailando con mi hermano del pasado
Sus espiritus se juntan bailando
Lleno de alegria y gozando

Loosely translated: Only certain people can see them, spirits dancing among us, can you see them? The Heavens shall bless them. See how my Mom dances with my brother from a past life? ...Their spirits joined in a dance, enjoying this happiness...


Now granted Day of the Dead has come and gone, but is it not a beautiful theory to think that those we love and care for are happy in their passing? Not suffering but in a state of total joy for eternity? Here is this celebration where we celebrate not their leaving, but this persons life. I wish time had permitted me to concoct a diy, craft or recipe but Crafty Chica has a great tutorial on a cigar box shrine. I actually purchased some of her iron on patches around Christmas and created an apron and re-usable grocery bags for my sis. The great thing about this diy is thats open to adding your own personal touch.



And best of all lets not forget the food! Because really, whats better on a cold night than a hot cup of rich Mexican chocolate and a slice of warm Pan de Muerto...mmm....yumm!





yes, it's true. she looks like she's trying to poison you. 
Kind of reminds me of Hansel & Gretel...hmm...Juan & Griselda?

I hope you enjoyed this small fraction of information on one of my favorite holidays. To end this blog I'd like to post a picture of my own loved one whom I honored for the first time this past Nov. 2. He was my best friend and pretty much grew up with me. Pets may seem like "something" that just come and go but this someone was very special to me and I find great comfort in knowing that he no longer hurts in anyway. 


Nicky 1992-2010. Fly with the Angels.

Oddly enough, I heard this song by Norah Jones on my Pandora account. The lyrics reminded me of my dearest friend. Enjoy : )



It’s him or me
That’s what he said
But I can’t choose
Between a vegan and a pot head
So I chose you, because you’re sweet and you give me lots of lovin’ and you eat meat
And that’s how you became
My only man of the hour

You never lie
And you don’t cheat
And you don’t have any baggage tied to your forefeet
Do I deserve, to be the one, who will feed you breakfast, lunch, and dinner and take you to the park at dawn
Will you really be

My only man of the hour

I know you’ll never bring me flowers
Flowers they will only die
And though you’ll never take a shower together
I know you’ll never make me cry
You never argue
You don’t even talk
And I like the way you let me lead you when we go outside and walk
Will you really be
My only man of the hour?
My only man of the hour.
My only man of the hour






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...